Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Meeting God

I believe that the Bible is absolutely true yet faith is something I really wrestle with.

It's hard to lay down my wants for my life and embrace the commandments of God. The idea of a God who created for me, cares for me, and absolutely loves me is wonderful but also terrifying.

I think of the way God appeared to Moses--I would crap my pants if a burning bush started talking to me. I think of the things Jesus did. If I saw someone walking on a stormy sea, I would freak out.

And I think of the things God called people to do: Abraham to move 600 miles from his home and to offer Isaac as a sacrifice; Moses to confront a powerful government official, negotiate the release of 2 million people, and to become the leader of those people for 40 years. Noah to build a huge boat when it had never previously rained and to gather a zoofull of animals.

God calls ordinary people to do extraordinary things. What was it He saw in those people that he could use? I think he still calls people like that today.

I would be kind of scared to be called by God. Even though he created me for a purpose and I would find the ultimate fulfillment in that purpose, I'm still suspicious. I guess I still have the idea that my plans for my life are better than God's--even though that hasn't really worked out for me so far.

No comments: